Home Forums Random A Quick Welcome to New Members Reply To: A Quick Welcome to New Members

BG
Participant

Hi all, my name is Birgit Gerling. In chat rooms with international participants, you usually see me as "BG" (for at least 15 years) simply because I got tired of hearing my name mispronounced in so many different ways, without having a chance to correct it.

My professional background is translation, typesetting, and publication of books (and basically all sizes and types of printed matters), as well as video productions. For a few years, I worked as management assistant and somehow "stumbled" into webdesign since I knew about layout and coding for typesetting. Eventually, I started my own company, doing publication projects for my husband and for customers, producing Excel/VBA based tools for scientific/statistical purposes, but mainly building websites. (When I first discovered WordPress ten years ago, I edited plugins, themes, and even core files if I wanted to change things ... - and was of course learning quickly that updates can kill sites.)

The usual web projects I nowadays work on for customers are for presentation purposes or blogs and consist of five to a few hundred pages/posts. Some "adopted" sites use(d) different cms; I am hoping to drop the last "non-WordPress customer site" still this year. Presently, as I find time, I am busy working on a few projects for myself - and am trying to learn Italian.