Home Forums General WordPress Discussions What tools do you use for non-standard functionality?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Benjamin
    Keymaster

There are several cases/scenarios that I'm wondering what tools all of you prefer.

Case #1 - Your site (client site) needs a countdown timer. Do you use...

• A specific countdown timer plugin (which one)
    • Whatever countdown timer is included in my pagebuilder
    • Whatever countdown timer is included in my theme
    • I grab some javascript countdown and implement it myself
    • I code the solution from scratch
    • Tell the client its not possible and suggest a different option

Case #2 - Your site (client site) needs a popup window for any number of reasons. Do you use...

• A specific popup plugin (which one)
    • Whatever popup system is included in my pagebuilder
    • Whatever popup system is included in my theme
    • I grab some javascript popup solution and implement it myself
    • Tell the client its not possible and suggest that most popups are horrible

Case #3 - Your site (client site) needs a "social effect" encourager solution. (This is when little notifications show up on the site saying some client purchased a product, signed-up for newsletter, registered for the site, etc.) Do you use...

• A specific "social effect" plugin (which one)
    • Whatever social effect is included in my pagebuilder
    • I grab some javascript social effect solution and implement it myself
    • Tell the client its not possible and fire the client on the spot
    BG
    Participant

Case #1:
    I would look for a suitable or similar JAVASCRIPT snippet and change it as needed. "Pre-WP" I had to do small things like this more often and pasted them directly into the HMTL pages. Nowadays, I may need help with that and would use Code Studio for implementing it.

Case #2:
    My "favorite" PLUGIN for popups - if absolutely needed - is Icegram. It offers a nice variety of options, I prefer "slide-in" instead of "popup".
    On one site, I use Popup Maker. It integrates with forms and I set it to only show when you click a certain button or text-link.

Case #3:
    No experience with that yet, but I would check if it is included in the PAGEBUILDER OR look for a PLUGIN -- and warn the customer to only use abbreviated names because of privacy/GDPR/DSGVO reasons.

jan
    Participant

I'm more of an implementer than a developer, so I would look for a solution within Beaver Builder or UABB, or choose a plugin after researching the options.

PaulOyler
    Participant

In each case I would probably tell the client, "eh, you don't really want that..."
    And then I'd look to see what I could find in either Power Pack or UABB.

Benjamin
    Keymaster

"you don't really want that.." Hahaha

Solid Strategy. And then when you find a solution using those tools, you'll look like an amazing developer who understands their dreams. 🙂

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.